Skip to main content

Monsoon in Dharamkot and McLeodganj: Cafes, Pine Trails, Music, and Moonlit Himalayan Walks

Three girls someone would have surely asked what others were wearing."Very casual sporty, jeans",I replied. On the way we stopped for food and coffee, enjoying rain amongst monsoonish lush green piny hills and black slate d roofs.

                  We checked into an almost vacant travel hostel that they had previously stayed at.

An Evening Walk to Once in Nature Cafe

 Then a long evening walk downhill amongst grafitti walls and stairs and an equally photogenic stray dog to find Once in Nature cafe. Selfies with wild daisies and cafe lights in the background as dusk turned into dark. The cafe has an outdoor and a roofed area with walls and pillars painted with dragons, giant mushrooms and sunflower.  The stage wall is painted with Saraswati with sitar, swan in water, bird and a large banyan tree. Definitely order the Bhagsu cake which we must have ordered atleast four times till the last order. The menu is basically vegan Israeli dishes apart from catering to the Indian taste: momos. I tried a heavy healthy vegan cacao cold chocolate kind of drink.Give the place a patient hour to actually liven up. On your right is an Indian balancing a stick on his head while shooting the Mast Kalandar being sung by the Indian on stage.A Mumbai band made some people dance with their Joganiya song and songs from Dil Se.Having traveled solo myself and not being new to the hostel backpacker culture, I notice an Israeli woman trying to initiate conversation with groups. I feel an urge to talk to her but with where I am seated and the people I am with, I feel some resistance that I mention to my friend. Creative spots the creative: in a while, she goes on stage to deliver beautiful Israeli singing. In the outdoor area, Israelis are selling crystals and hand paintings.A small lit temple under a full moon night greets you on your walk outside. 

                                   Late-Night Market Walk

After the closing call , you leave and walk to the main market road which still has some clothes shops open to  pick a pink leisure bottom for 200 rupees that has been staying solid since some time now. Hot Gulab jamun tempt you so you have a  few and get a few packed while the rest order some food for late night.  You end the day after a terrace quality time with friends under the lit roof and hills.   

Dharamkot and Mcleodganj Day 2

Second day at Dharamkot, we woke up to misty rain.Prior eleven am, all of us, two women, a man, a woman , her husband and son, were seated in the travel hostel restaurant. While we waited for poori chane , tea , coffee etc, I taught them UNO and we played two rounds. Then while the plans finalised, we played a little table tennis on the ground floor.A few scenic pictures and a quick inspection of a pottery workshop led us to Tushita meditation centre which one of us was adamant to visit. More pictures in the pine trail to the meditation centre and with the muticolored centre as backround crouching near the pink hydrangeas.Intricate bright multicolored artwork near the doors warranted a picture.Trying to take in every intricate detail while walking in the drizzle was an absorbing experience.Finally we entered after having explored what we could outside. The wall against the stairs had framed taras and mandalas and Buddhist monuments and led to a shop where my friends bought kid illustrated storybooks while I bought the book "Tibetan yogas of dream and sleep", incense and keychain. Few more pictures in the pine trail and then we headed to Dharamkot market, the same leading to Bhagsu waterfall.I was tempted by Tibetan bakery which we decided to visit after our meal. The place I decided on had an adjacent gym with trance music on. It was a cozy books and artwork laded plan with the misty hills as your background. I tried seaweed soup the nutritional benefits of which were narrated to me by the owner who was a pleasant man who joined us.I also bought a tiny artistic notepad.Then we walked back and dropped in at the Tibetan bakery where we ordered a marble cake and a carrot cake which tasted fresh and yummy.I also bought a fridge magnet with five disciples and Buddha(symbolizing us and the kid). Then we huddled into our car, stopped at Pathankot for burger, lemonade, masala papad etc.I bought a cute marshmellow lollipop for the kid and thus concluded our trip. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books and AI(Artificial Intelligence)

Credibility: I am Dr. Aashna Gill, a conservative, cosmetic, aesthetic endodontist (dental specialist) . My second book SANDS: Love-themed contemporary fairytales, illustrated poems and prose has been on UK and USA Amazon bestseller list twenty-four and twenty-one times respectively under contemporary poetry.  Best amazon bestseller ranks: United Kingdom : 1st USA: 1st Australia: 2nd India: 6th Formats available: kindle ebook, paperback and hardcover. French and German translated kindle ebooks and paperbacks are also out. linktr.ee/draashnagillauthor I published the original book at zero cost.    Since few days, I have been fascinated with learning to use AI. My creativity outlet is my published book. Works in progress include Spanish and Bengali translation. I am treating the Spanish version as an entire new project in terms of included art. In my books, each poem has a unique illustration or artwork, hardcover containing some of  mine and my illustrator Gurseera...

A Pilgrimage to the Yellow Temple: Visiting Baglamukhi and Pragpur in the Kangra Valley

 Summary A road trip to the Baglamukhi Temple in Kangra Valley unfolds as both a spiritual and sensory experience—misty mountain views, sacred fire rituals, devotion, and quiet encounters with nature. From the temple and its shops and an attempted journey to Pragpur, this guide blends pilgrimage, culture, and travel insight in Himachal Pradesh. On the Way: A Scenic Pause Before the Temple As you head to Baglamukhi temple by road, you will spot "Seven Star Hotel & Restaurant" in seclusion on your right. From here, the view is of misty blue mountains in the far, green hills in its foreground, a flowing river, and vibrant greenery. Constant bird chirping under a cloudy sky. A perfect background for a beautiful picture while soothing your senses with a cup of coffee. Small Wildlife Encounters If you are observant enough, you may notice a peacock in a tree far off and a amily of mongooses(called mob) burrowing so very near. Practical Travel Note         ...