Skip to main content

A Morning in Tashi Jong: Monastery, Art and Conversations in the Kangra Valley

Summary

Tashi Jong is a small village, a flourishing haven of Tibetan art based in Drukpa Kagyu tradition of Buddhism.

Tashi Jong

From Baijnath chowk or bus station, take a bus that stops enroute Tashi Jong.This is a small village, a flourishing haven of Tibetan art based in Drukpa Kagyu tradition of Buddhism.At the foothills you are greeted by a roaring stream, bright yellowish-orange and  white flowered trees in April,snow-capped mountains, white patches of clouds in the blue sky. A bridge over it connects to nearby houses.Locals are seen offering prayers in the morning at the small temples on the bridge.You will find autos to take you uphill to the monastery if you have time constraints.You can always choose a leisure walk back  after having visited the monastery.

Inside the Monastery Prayer Hall

                                                   There are shops offering Tibetan food. On your right is the prayer hall for monks. I was lucky to spot two monks talking to a monk inside with the door barely open. Curiously I asked to look inside to which they warmly welcomed me. The prayer hall is magnificently intricately beautiful.Leisurely ,taking my time, I took in all the details of the artwork adorning all walls and the hanging scrolls.The young monk was friendly enough to chat with, encouraging my curious questions. I learned where the head monk and where the noveau monks seat. Fascinated to hear that their learning begins not at a fixed age but based on when a child becomes capable of learning to read and write.He had studied in a monastery in Karnataka, adjoining the city where I graduated from and was fluent in Kannada and Hindi.I was given fruits. Then I proceeded to the main monastery about which the monk had already told me about, the design vision of Khamtrul Rinpoche.Here two monks were going about their morning prayer rituals. I quietly observed and after thoroughly looking everywhere, I left. 

The Art Gallery and Thangka Paintings

                                        After exiting, I walked into an art gallery by artist Tsering who probably also owns the bakery-cafe . The entry was roughly twenty rupees. The privilege was that the artist accompanied me. We had a long conversation about art vs business side of it, me being a global Amazon bestselling author who has handled all the artistic and business side of  my book and its three translations so far.

The Making of a Thangka

                                                 His main style of painting is Thangka which is characterized by its vibrant colours, detailed imagery and what to an onlooker feels a theme based on a singular emotion. I particularly fell in love with a central green Tara(goddess) surrounded by fawns and wildlife painting that exuded peace and harmony.

                The process of the painting involves a monk meditating, narrating the vision of Tara to the artist who brings the vision to life after repeated redraws and corrections. Continuing with walk downhill on a Sunday morning with almost all shops still closed, I found breakfast in a shop on my right run by a couple with a young kid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Books and AI(Artificial Intelligence)

Credibility: I am Dr. Aashna Gill, a conservative, cosmetic, aesthetic endodontist (dental specialist) . My second book SANDS: Love-themed contemporary fairytales, illustrated poems and prose has been on UK and USA Amazon bestseller list twenty-four and twenty-one times respectively under contemporary poetry.  Best amazon bestseller ranks: United Kingdom : 1st USA: 1st Australia: 2nd India: 6th Formats available: kindle ebook, paperback and hardcover. French and German translated kindle ebooks and paperbacks are also out. linktr.ee/draashnagillauthor I published the original book at zero cost.    Since few days, I have been fascinated with learning to use AI. My creativity outlet is my published book. Works in progress include Spanish and Bengali translation. I am treating the Spanish version as an entire new project in terms of included art. In my books, each poem has a unique illustration or artwork, hardcover containing some of  mine and my illustrator Gurseera...

Monsoon in Dharamkot and McLeodganj: Cafes, Pine Trails, Music, and Moonlit Himalayan Walks

Three girls someone would have surely asked what others were wearing."Very casual sporty, jeans",I replied. On the way we stopped for food and coffee, enjoying rain amongst monsoonish lush green piny hills and black slate d roofs.                   We checked into an almost vacant travel hostel that they had previously stayed at. An Evening Walk to Once in Nature Cafe  Then a long evening walk downhill amongst grafitti walls and stairs and an equally photogenic stray dog to find Once in Nature cafe. Selfies with wild daisies and cafe lights in the background as dusk turned into dark. The cafe has an outdoor and a roofed area with walls and pillars painted with dragons, giant mushrooms and sunflower.  The stage wall is painted with Saraswati with sitar, swan in water, bird and a large banyan tree. Definitely order the Bhagsu cake which we must have ordered atleast four times till the last order. The menu is basically vegan Israeli di...

A Pilgrimage to the Yellow Temple: Visiting Baglamukhi and Pragpur in the Kangra Valley

 Summary A road trip to the Baglamukhi Temple in Kangra Valley unfolds as both a spiritual and sensory experience—misty mountain views, sacred fire rituals, devotion, and quiet encounters with nature. From the temple and its shops and an attempted journey to Pragpur, this guide blends pilgrimage, culture, and travel insight in Himachal Pradesh. On the Way: A Scenic Pause Before the Temple As you head to Baglamukhi temple by road, you will spot "Seven Star Hotel & Restaurant" in seclusion on your right. From here, the view is of misty blue mountains in the far, green hills in its foreground, a flowing river, and vibrant greenery. Constant bird chirping under a cloudy sky. A perfect background for a beautiful picture while soothing your senses with a cup of coffee. Small Wildlife Encounters If you are observant enough, you may notice a peacock in a tree far off and a amily of mongooses(called mob) burrowing so very near. Practical Travel Note         ...